News: Press Releases
UPMC Offers Support Groups/Clinics in December
ALTOONA, Pa., Nov. 15, 2016
— UPMC Altoona
offers the following support group meetings and patient clinics in September as a public service to the community. They are listed alphabetically according to where they are held.
Support groups meeting at the hospital, 620 Howard Ave., use the Allegheny and Bedford rooms; the Rotunda on the 6th floor of the Outpatient Center; Dining Room A in the Cafeteria in Tower 4; and the Board Room in Tower 5.
- Bariatric Information Sessions by UPMC Altoona Surgical Associates, 5 to 6 p.m., Dec. 21, in the Rotunda. Pre-registration required. Call 814-889-7500.
- Bariatric Support Group 6 to 7 p.m., Dec. 7, in the Rotunda. Pre-registration required. Call 814-889-7500.
- Breastfeeding Class is offered to expectant parents from 6 to 8 p.m., Dec. 7, in the Allegheny room, call 814-889-2557.
- The Caregivers Corner Support Group meets at 11:30 a.m., Dec. 1, at Hossís in Duncansville, Pa. Call 814-889-3123.
- The Depression and Bipolar Self-Help Group meets 7 to 8:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Bedford Room. Call 814-889-2141.
- Emergency Responder Support Group meets 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Dec. 14, Rotunda. Call Mike at 814-505-2901.
- Support Group for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One Through Suicide meets from 7 to 8:30 p.m., Dec. 21, in the conference room in the Access Center, Building C, Blair Medical Center, 501 Howard Ave. (across from UPMC Altoona). Following the loss of a loved one from suicide, individuals can find themselves searching for answers and feeling indescribably alone in their grief. This suicide survivor support group offers a place of understanding. Call 814-889-2141.
The following support groups meet at Station Medical Center
, 17th Street and 9th Avenue. For the Conference Room, use the K4 entrance next to Fresenius Dialysis. For the Sleep Center, use the UPMC Altoona Outpatient entrance. The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department offers convenient parking and a patient drop-off area on the 17th Street side of the building.
- Breast Cancer support group meets 6 to 7:30 p.m., Dec. 1, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2557.
- Breastfeeding Connections support group is offered 10 to 11 a.m., and 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Dec. 28, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2557.
- The Grief Support Group meets at 6 p.m., Dec. 7 and 21, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2132.
- The Stroke Support Group meets from noon to 2 p.m., Dec. 13, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2356.
A world-renowned health care provider and insurer, Pittsburgh-based UPMC
is inventing new models of patient-centered, cost-effective, accountable care. It provides nearly $900 million a year in benefits to its communities, including more care to the regionís most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution. The largest nongovernmental employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC integrates 60,000 employees, more than 20 hospitals, more than 500 doctorsí offices and outpatient sites, and a more than 3 million-member Insurance Services Division, the largest medical and behavioral health services insurer in western Pennsylvania. Affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences
, UPMC ranks No. 12 in the prestigious U.S. News & World Report annual Honor Roll of Americaís Best Hospitals. UPMC Enterprises functions as the innovation and commercialization arm of UPMC while UPMC International provides hands-on health care and management services with partners in 12 countries on four continents. For more information, go to UPMC.com