News: Press Releases
UPMC Offers Support Groups/Clinics in March
ALTOONA, Pa., Feb. 27, 2017
— UPMC Altoona
offers the following support group meetings and patient clinics in March as a public service to the community. They are listed alphabetically according to where they are held.
Support groups meeting at the hospital, 620 Howard Ave., use the Allegheny and Bedford rooms, the Rotunda on the 6th floor of the Outpatient Center, Dining Room A in the Cafeteria on Tower 4, and the Board Room on Tower 5.
- Alzheimerís Disease Support Group 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., March 29, Allegheny Room. Call 814-889-2141.
- Bariatric Information Sessions by UPMC Altoona Surgical Associates, 5 to 6 p.m., March 16, Allegheny Room. Pre-registration required. Call 814-889-7500.
- Bariatric Support Group by UPMC Altoona Surgical Associates offers education, speakers and support for people who will have, or have had, bariatric surgery, 6 to 7 p.m., March 2, Rotunda. Topic: Safe and effective exercise of any level of physical ability. Call 814-889-7500.
- Breastfeeding Class is offered to expectant parents from 6 to 8 p.m., March 2, in the Allegheny Room, call 814-889-2557.
- The Caregivers Corner Support Groupmeets at 11:30 a.m., March 3, at Hossís in Duncansville, Pa. Call 814-889-3123.
- The Depression and Bipolar Self-Help Group meets 7 to 8:30 p.m., every Wednesday, Bedford Room. Call 814-889-2141.
- Emergency Responder Support Group meets 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., March 9, Rotunda. Call Mike at 814-505-2901.
- Ostomy Support Group meets 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 20, Rotunda. Call Russ at 814-943-3782.
- Parkinsonís Support Group meets at 11 a.m., March 28, at Hossís, at Valley View Boulevard and 7th Street. Call 814-889-2141.
- Support Group for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One Through Suicide meets from 7 to 8:30 p.m., March16, in the conference room in the Access Center, Building C, Blair Medical Center, 501 Howard Ave. (across from UPMC Altoona). Following the loss of a loved one from suicide, individuals can find themselves searching for answers and feeling indescribably alone in their grief. This suicide survivor support group offers a place of understanding. Call 814-889-2141.
The following support groups meet at Station Medical Center
, 17th Street and 9th Avenue. For the Conference Room, use the K-4 entrance next to Fresenius Dialysis. For the Sleep Center, use the UPMC Altoona Outpatient entrance. The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department offers convenient parking and a patient drop-off area on the 17th Street side of the building.
- Breast Cancer support group meets 6 to 7:30 p.m., March 3, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2557.
- Breastfeeding Connections support group is offered 10 to 11 a.m., and 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., March 23, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2557.
- The Grief Support Group meets at 6 p.m., March 2 and 16, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2132.
- La Leche League meets 10 a.m. to noon, March 14, Conference Room. Call 814-934-0466.
- Sleep Apnea Support Group meets 6 to 7:30 p.m. March 22, in the Sleep Clinic. Call 814-889-4466.
- The Stroke Support Group meets from noon to 2 p.m., March 8, Conference Room. Call 814-889-2356.
- Wheelchair Clinics will be held at 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., March 8, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department. Physician referral and appointment required. Call 814-889-4463.
At UPMC Bedford Memorial
, 10455 Lincoln Highway, Everett:
Bariatric Information Sessions
by UPMC Altoona Surgical Associates, 5 to 6 p.m., March 15, in the Vreeland Conference Room. Pre-registration required. Call 814-889-7500.
About UPMC Community Benefits
Health screenings are a small part of the more than $892 million a year that UPMC
provides in total IRS-defined community benefits, including more care to the Pittsburgh regionís most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution. Over the past five years, UPMC has dedicated nearly $4 billion to community-focused programs and services, making a substantial impact for the well-being of the people who live, work, learn and raise their families in western Pennsylvania. The complete UPMC Community Benefits Report
is available online at upmc.com.